Five Firsts: Patrick Weklar of soundBarn


Five Firsts: Patrick Weklar of soundBarn

NAME: Patrick Weklar
BAND AFFILIATION: soundBarn, Location Ensemble
INSTRUMENT: Guitar

1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Not entirely sure, but it’s a safe bet it was a Beatles album – or albums – since I used to buy them 2-3 at a time. The record store was on the way home from my job, so I usually arrived home on payday with empty pockets and an
armful of LPs.

2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Ronnie James Dio at the Glens Falls Civic Center in ’84 or ’85.

3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A 1960s-era Sears Silvertone guitar. It was one of the Danelectro-style amp-in-case models. I inherited that from my brother when I was probably six or seven years old and used to goof around with it until my parents gave it away to my cousin. I now have his old Sunn cabinet, so I guess we’re somewhat even.

4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Mother” by Pink Floyd. A few friends and I got together a band for the high school talent show. About halfway through the song, the school sound system went haywire and brought the show to a halt. We then launched into an “unplugged” version of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and left the stage. I don’t think we won.

5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … My first “real” band – after the high school talent show debacle – was the Fauves with current bandmate Thom Lail. I played bass at the time. During our first public performance at the College of St. Rose we actually interrupted a wedding that was taking place across the campus at the college chapel. I recall somebody jogging across the lawn coming over to tell us to keep it down. I’m pretty sure we proceeded to turn it up a few notches once he left.

Patrick Weklar will plug in and crank it up with Thom Lail in soundBarn at – where else? – The soundBarn in Valatie on Sunday (December 11). “5 Acts: An Evening of Experimental Music” will also feature performances by cellist Valerie Kuehne, composer-vocalist Paul Pinto, violinist Jeffrey Young and guitar duo Century Plants. Showtime is 8pm, and suggested donation at the door is $8; students $5.


http://www.nippertown.com/2011/12/07/five-firsts-patrick-weklar-of-soundbarn/Link to the Nippertown page


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone